Today, I literally had a 'pain in my butt'. Or as the doctor put it, in my 'buttocks'. =D What happened was this: I have had a low-grade migraine for the past week. It was small enough that it caused me some pain when exposed to bright lights and loud sounds, but nothing some sleep, a hot shower, and a few Alleve could not handle. Yesterday and last night, however, I do not know if it was because of a lack of sleep from the previous night, but around 5:30 I got fuzzy and could not focus on anything going around me. The lights and sounds twirled together in a slightly pretty fog, and everything I did hurt. Pressing on my head hurt, touching my eyes hurt, talking hurt, listening...etc. So I hopped in the shower which helped a bit, and then tucked myself into bed. I drifted off, and hoped I would wake refreshed in the morning. No go. I woke up a few hours later (could have been as little as 3 or 4 as when I awoke my roommates were still up) and the very pressure from lying my head on the pillow made the pain in my head hurt worse. I tried out different positions on the pillow to no avail, but somehow I drifted back to sleep. I then awoke some more time later with the same problem, only this time I could not sleep again. I got out of bed, downed a tablet of Maxalt, then stumbled back into bed. I fell asleep and then woke up a few more times throughout the night. When my alarm went off at 8, I was instantly wide awake and in the same crippling pain. I knew I couldn't go to class, so I started getting ready to go to the health center. I had to wait an hour as it did not open till 9, but once I got there, everything happened quickly. I saw a nurse practitioner who had seen me before (and remembered me, strangely enough) who prescribed that I get a pain shot called Toradol. She led me to a quiet, dark room (man, I love those!) and had a nurse come in a give me the shot...in my 'buttocks'. The nurse ripped out the needle and made me bleed, and then wiped the stab wound with an alcohol wipe. It stung for a bit, let me tell you! ;) Then they had me lay down for about 40 minutes (they wanted me to start to fall asleep) and then came in and checked on me. When I first went in, the pain was about an 8, and when they checked on me, about a 1.5. It was fantastic. The nurse practitioner thought that I had a combination of a migraine and an inflammation headache due to the week of migraines. She therefore had me take a dose of Alleve with my dinner meal. They then said I could stay there to sleep, or go back to my room, but they did not want me to go to classes at all. :/ I had to make do by doing all the reading and homework I could.
That was really the most exciting part of my day, and I was pretty out of my mind with pain during the whole thing. It really feels like a dream, actually... I did finish up most of my lab, though. I only have three paragraphs left to write on the genetic makeup of persons with Downs Syndrome, Turners Syndrome, and Klinefelter's Syndrome and their phenotypes. Should be simple enough. :)
Well, I am going to turn in. Before I do though, here is a link to the Silver Falcon Marching Band's performance this past weekend at Washington. Check it out, you will not be disappointed! Try to find Tasha! ;) Where's Tasha?
Goodnight and God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment