Monday, October 12, 2009

Iowa!

I had thought of a clever intro for this during class, but now I forgot! So, welcome back - buckle up and get ready for some tales. :)

This weekend was fantastic - I am 100% glad that I went to the retreat. Even though I only really knew one or two people who went, I really felt welcome and at home. At first the worship and studies were kind of light and fluffy (I mean, they were on some deep topics, but the way they were presented were...cotton candy-like.) The messages were good though, and the discussion groups that we had after every message were thought-provoking and interesting. It was nice to hear others ideas on the presented topics, and receive and give support to the members. The second day (Saturday) evening was really when things got into deeper waters and really opened us up. After the last message, our discussion group met for the last time. We continued talking and answering questions about walking the path of Christ and getting lost and finding your way back to the path. (Basically). Then we started talking about love and how we are supposed to love everyone because Jesus did. This then led into talking about living with the sadness and fear of a love one not becoming/being a believer. It was such a good discussion!! Of course, this was merely a prelude to an incredible night. =) At 11:30, we began extended worship, which essentially is a few hours of singing and praising God, and just a time to pray and talk to God, listen to what He is saying, and just really sort things out. Let me just say that this was my personal favorite part of the retreat - I listened and confessed to God everything that I have been holding back. The tiniest, most trivial things that have been building up, I let loose. I told Him my fears, my joys, my dreams, my hopes, my worries...and even though He knows, it was the communicating of them that opened me up to Him. What relationship can prosper without communication? Prayer is communication with God, and even though I have been praying, I really was not saying what I needed to say. So now I feel refreshed and ready to do what God would have me do. Still scared - needless to say, that will always be there - but I feel like I can do it, with God guiding me.

Now onto the relationship aspect of the retreat! I met great people there! If you have ever been to my campus, you know that almost anyone you smile at will smile back at you. At Fall Retreat, EVERYONE smiled at you, even if you did not smile at them. They were friendly and loving. If they saw you by yourself, they would come up to you, introduce themselves and start a conversation. It truly was a great experience. I met a fellow vegetarian and food snob, as she likes to call herself, and it was interesting to see how much we had in common. I also met two girls from Taiwan and one from Japan. :) The Taiwanese girls have agreed to help me practice my Chinese (definately just typed English and did not notice!) and they are impressed that I even know of Taiwan - and that I want to learn Chinese! Hehe. I met some impressive Christians this week who are very strong in their faith; I felt incredibly comfortable around them. One of these seems to be willing to meet with me for bible study - she gave me her number and said to call her anytime. That did not come out the way I wanted it to, yet I cannot think of another way to phrase it. It was not quite so impersonal...hmm. Well, it looks like I made quite a few Christian friends this weekend, which is fantabulous!

This weekend I also learned about English Corner, which is every Thursday in Cartwright an hour before CRU. A bunch of international students and some English-speaking students come together and just chat, which helps the internationals practice their English. It is sometimes hard for them as some people do not like to talk to them because of their lack of knowledge of the language or their accents. I am excited!! I want to learn Chinese, but I would love to help them learn another language. ;)

I was trying to do a lab in the basement with Soni-chan today while my laundry was running, but we ended up getting into a philosophical discussion. It all came up because I was talking about how we (children) can never really comprehend the sacrifice a parent gives/goes through for their child. It was such a perfect opening, I had to take it. I just had to ask her if she knew the sacrifice Jesus gave for her. Well, that opened a floodgate of questions. =D We shall see. I truly pray that her unique perspectives will bring her about to accepting Jesus' love... her thinking process is very one of a kind. [Mom - before you freak out, she has been "soul-searching" as she calls it, and has been attending Crossroad's weekly meeting.]

Thank you for all of your support and love!! I pray that you will keep Adam in your prayers - he truly needs support right now. Mom - remember that roommate who bit me at SEMO band camp? I think there is just something about roommates at SEMO... Also please keep Soni-chan in your prayers.

Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment